Stainless steel rings are quickly becoming a popular choice on the market for wedding bands, engagement rings, promise rings, and more. This material offers many benefits that gold can’t compare to. That being said, there’s much that people still aren’t sure of when it comes to picking a stainless steel ring. one of the more common questions people ask is, “Can you engrave a stainless steel ring?”
Today, we’re going to talk about that as well as why stainless steel might be the perfect option for your needs as well as different types of engraving methods.
Why are stainless steel rings popular?
Before we discuss how engravings work with rings made of this popular material, we should go over why people like stainless steel pieces in the first place. What makes them so special?
- Stainless steel is durable
In the past, many people have preferred gold or silver wedding rings over other materials. They’re traditional, pretty, and shiny! However, they can be easy to tarnish or warp. Newer materials on the market have addressed this issue, including rings made of stainless steel.
Stainless steel is difficult to warp, and it resists tarnishing or scratching over time. Corrosion is not typically an issue, either. Though stainless steel isn’t entirely scratch-proof, it holds up much longer than other rings would.
- Stainless steel is light
One increasingly common complaint that ring wearers issue is that their ring feels too heavy on their finger. People used to love that weight because it represented wealth. If you can buy something big, heavy, and made of precious metal, you were someone of importance! Now, price matters less than comfort.
With a stainless steel ring, you might not even notice that it’s there. It’s light as a feather while still being elegant and beautiful.
- Stainless steel is affordable
If you’re on a tight budget, you may balk at the sight of platinum, silver, or gold rings. They’re wildly expensive in most cases! Don’t feel discouraged, though, because stainless steel rings are a more affordable option.
Can stainless steel rings be engraved?
The short answer: yes. Stainless steel rings can be engraved just as most other rings can be. Most people enjoy being able to leave a secret message on the inside of a wedding band or promise ring; it reminds them of their love and commitment to someone else. If you are one of those people, you won’t need to sacrifice that personal touch in favor of the other properties' stainless steel rings offer.
There are two main options when it comes to engraving a stainless steel ring. Let’s talk about that.
Can stainless steel rings be engraved with a diamond tip engraver?
Yes! You can engrave almost any ring with a diamond tip engraver, as diamonds are some of the hardest materials on the planet. They can engrave metals, glass, and plastic quite easily. Diamond tip engraving is often the method that jewelers use because:
- It gives results more quickly than other methods. If you are in a rush to get your ring engraved, the diamond tip engraver is up to the task. Of course, wait times will vary based on the jeweler or engraver’s workload, but you can expect that it shouldn’t take long in any case.
- The end result is polished and elegant. You can expect this from pretty much any method of engraving, but diamond tip engravers are so precise that your ring will look practically perfect in every way.
- They’re safer for engravers to work with. Laser engraving machines often put out smoke and toxic fumes that need to be ventilated out. Diamond tip engravers do not, and they also don’t produce much harmful dust.
Can stainless steel rings be engraved with a laser engraver?
Again, yes. Stainless steel rings pose no problem for laser engravers either, and some engravers/jewelers prefer using this method instead of diamond tip engraving. This is because:
- Laser engravers do not put any pressure on jewelry pieces. Since lasers are just highly-concentrated beams of light, they don’t apply physical pressure to the surface of your ring, allowing them to be more precise with less risk than a diamond tip engraver would.
- Laser engravers are less limited than diamond tip engravers. You have a limited amount of fonts that you can use when it comes to a diamond tip, but laser engravers allow you to choose any font that you want to engrave a message of your choosing. They’re not limited by any physical restrictions.
- They are extremely precise. Diamond tip engravers are precise as they can be, but if your engraving is extremely thin or intricate, a laser engraver will get the job done better. The beams are extremely focused and they don’t have to contend with any limited size or shape. In the end, it all comes down to the fact that laser engravers have no solid property that limits them.
What are some engraving ideas for a stainless steel ring?
You have many options when it comes to what you can have engraved on your stainless steel ring, but that may leave you more confused than ever. You don’t know where to start, especially if you aren’t particularly poetic.
Don’t worry; you can start your search for the perfect message to give to your sweetheart (or yourself) with the engraving ideas lists found below!
- 41 Amazing Men’s Wedding Band Ring Engraving Ideas
- What to Engrave on Promise Rings and Wedding Bands: 130 Ideas
There is a perfect message out there for everyone and every occasion. You just have to know where to find your inspiration!
Stainless steel rings are a great choice for everyone in need of jewelry. They’re durable, beautiful, affordable, and still able to be personalized. They are a perfect medium when it comes to all of the ring materials on the market for all of your needs and desires.
If you need to find the perfect stainless steel ring for yourself or a loved one, consider browsing our selection. You never know what you may fall in love with!