A ring engraving is a thoughtful and heartfelt way to show your feelings for another person. If given as a gift the engraving adds so much sentimental value. If chosen by the wearer the engraving is a wonderful way to cherish another person, thought, or memory.
While there are plenty of ring engraving options, ones specifically geared towards a son might be a little more difficult to come by. We have compiled a list of great engravings, perfect for a son.
We will also cover a little bit of info about how engraving works and why you may want an engraving. Read on to find your ideal jewelry sentiment.
Engravings For a Son
There are a variety of engravings, they can be funny, sweet, or traditional. Dates, quotes, and verses are the most commonly used.Traditional
These are some of the most traditional ring engraving ideas. They are classic and will stand the test of time.
- Their birthdate
- To my son
- Proverbs 1:8-9 “Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.”
- I love you
- I will love you always
- My Son, My Life, My World.
- Love (mom, or dad, or family member)
- With love
- The date of a special event, such as graduation
- The family name
Modern quotes can be sentimental, humorous, or inspirational. They can really reflect your son’s personal style, character, and taste while highlighting your special bond.
- “Time is an illusion.” - Albert Einstein
- “Whatever you do, do it well.” - Walt Disney
- “Whatever you are, be a good one.” - Abraham Lincoln
- “Men are what their mothers made them.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Until you value yourself, you will not value your time.” - M. Scott Peck
- ”Man is nothing else but what he makes of himself.” - Jean Paul Sartre
- “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.” - Michael Altshuler
- “The time is always right to do what is right.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Stop allowing time to control you; instead, take control of your time.” - Marelisa Fábrega
- “We became friends, not just father and son.” - Richard Bergeron
- “Your limitation—it's only your imagination.”
- “Dream it. Wish it. Do it.”
- “A son is a love that lasts a lifetime.”
- “A good son makes a good husband.”
- “If my son is happy, then I am happy.”
- “He who can be a good son will be a good father.”
- “Son, you outgrew my lap, but never my heart.”
- “You are my sonshine.” (or sunshine)
- “I love you with all my heart, dearest son.”
- “You make me proud.”
- “Be true to yourself always.”
- “Live your own dreams.”
- “Don't take life so seriously.”
- “Don't be afraid to take risks”
- “Have Courage”
- “Take Heart”
- “Fortune Favors the Bold”
- “I Believe In You”
- “No Matter What Happens, I Will Always Love You”
- “From Your Number One Fan”
- “You're a Superhero”
- “Keep Your Focus”
- “Remember Your Dreams”
Movies, television, and songs
- “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” —Yoda The Empire Strikes Back
- “Luke, I am your father” - an adaptation from Star Wars
- “Say hello to my little friend.” —Al Pacino Scarface
- “If you love life, don’t waste time, for time is what life is made up of.” - Bruce Lee
- “Yippee-ki-yay, motherf–ker!” - Bruce Willis Die Hard
- “Every Man Dies, Not Every Man Lives.” - Mel Gibson Braveheart
- “And if you ever need a friend / Momma's right there 'til the very end” - I Got You by Ciara
- "If you're lost you can look and you will find me” - Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
- “If you fall, I will catch you, I'll be waiting” - Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
- "I feel the need …, the need for speed” - Top Gun
- “We came! We saw! We kicked its ass!” - Ghostbusters
- 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?" —Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry
- "Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt." —Robert De Niro, Ronin
- "Hasta la vista, baby." —Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- "I ain't got time to bleed." —Jesse Ventura, Predator
- "Dying ain't much of a living, boy." —Clint Eastwood, The Outlaw Josey Wales
Tips For Ring Engraving
Ring engravings are great, but remember, they are pretty permanent! This means you want to be happy with your choice before it is etched into stone (or metal in this case). Here are a few tips.
- Choose a font and size that is legible. Shorter quotes work better because you are trying to fit text into a relatively small space. Regardless of your quote choice, try to choose a style that is easy to read when it is downsized to fit on your ring.
- Keep it short and sweet. Along those same lines, keep the number of characters to a minimum. Most jewelers and engravers will have limits on how many characters they can fit on a ring. Keep the sentiment short and sweet so it will remain legible and won’t look cramped.
- Think timeless. Though the best engraving is one that speaks to you, you may want to consider a timeless engraving. Instead of phrases that are trending, nicknames that may be short-lived, or phrases that reference current pop culture, choose something that will never go out of style.
- Check it twice! Before you send off your jewelry to be engraved, check your engraving text twice. It usually helps if you write or type out what you would like engraved in the exact font and size you plan to use. This not only helps you get a better idea for how it will look but also provides the engraver with a clear copy.
- Take care of your engraving. Engravings can be prone to build up. This is because the metal is carved out, leaving grooves that can trap lotions and soap. To keep your engraving looking great, clean it with a cloth or soft-bristled brush whenever you clean or polish your ring.
An Engraving Shows You Care
As long as you choose something that comes from the heart, your engraving is sure to be greatly appreciated by the wearer of the ring. It will make the jewelry so much more special and surely your son will cherish it for years to come.
Just remember to keep it timeless, short and sweet, and sentimental. Double-check that it is correct before you send it off to be engraved and you will end up with a piece of jewelry that is entirely unique.
How Does Ring Engraving Work?
An engraving is an inscription that is carved, or engraved, into the metal of your ring. Usually, an engraving consists of text but it can also be an image or a symbol. Common engravings include dates, names, quotes, phrases, and religious verses.
Engravings can be done in one of two ways, either hand-engraved or engraved by a machine. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Hand engraving has a traditional and old-world feel to it. A jeweler uses a tool called a graver. This tool resembles a chisel, the type of instrument used to carve out stone or wood. There are various sizes and designs of gravers each lending a unique style and quality to the engraving.
The engraver will choose the best graver for the job and then begin carving into your metal band to add the inscription. This process can be tedious and costly. Some metals may cost more as they are more difficult to engrave.
Soft metals are the easiest to engrave. Gold and sterling silver are common soft metals that are effortless to engrave. However, tough and durable metals, like tungsten and platinum, can also be engraved. Sometimes tougher metals are unable to be engraved by hand.
A hand engraving is full of character and will usually last just as long as a machine engraving. Machine engravings are, unsurprisingly, engraved by a machine. Machine engravings use a CAD, or computer-aided design, program.
These inscriptions are carved out by powered gravers controlled by a machine that many jewelers may have access to. All the jeweler has to do is type the engraving into the computer program, pop in the piece of jewelry, and the machine will automatically set to work.
Typically, these types of engravings cost less. However, they may not be as unique. Additionally, some machines can only allow for block lettering or certain styles of engravings since they burrow into the metal as specified by the computer program.
Regardless of which engraving type you choose, adding a heartfelt message to a ring will make it much more special.
Why Should I Engrave My Ring?
As mentioned, engraving a ring makes it special! These objects become much more cherished when there is a unique message included in them. It makes it much more than a ring purchased from a jeweler, it makes it yours.
Additionally, dates, phrases, sayings, and more are great ways to remember a special moment. Commemorate a person or keep them close. Engravings add a special touch.
More articles you will love